Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap Recipe

Homemade Laundry Soap Recipe
It cost approximately $5.50 for the ingredients and lasts a two person family well over a year. Saving us around $100. I was skeptical at first, but now am a total convert.

You need
*A bar of Fels-Naptha (found in the detergent aisle) $.97
*Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (found in detergent aisle) $2.45
*Borax (I used 20 mule team) $1.99
*Bucket (5 gallon or you can get a large mop bucket  at the dollar store)
*Three gallons of water


1) Grate the bar of soap with a regular cheese grater. I preheat two gallons of water in pots on the stove, since I don't have a large enough pot for that I split the recipe and have two one gallon pots going. Add the soap curls evenly to the water, add 1 total cup washing soda, and 1 total cup borax. Heat the solution until all of the curls are melted, the water will turn a yellow color due to the coloration of the bar.

2) Stir occasionally as the soap curls melt. Add essential oils if you'd like. I usually add a combination of lavender, orange and lemon! Sounds like a weird combo but it smells delightful. While you are waiting fill the bucket with one gallon of room temperature water. After the curls are completely melted, add the detergent to the water in the bucket, pour slowly, and mix well.
3) Cover the bucket and allow to set over night (or for 12 hours). I always cover mine with aluminum foil or Glad Press & Seal. The following morning or 12 hours later, remove the cover and mix the solution. It will be a firm gel. I chop up the solution with a wooden spoon and use my electric hand mixer to blend the solution. After it is well mixed pour it into containers to save.
This is a very low sudsing formula and safe to use in any washer. I use 1/2 cup per load.
This recipe yields 96 loads, so it costs about $.05 per load!

No comments:

Post a Comment